Scientific Name: Pycnonotus goiavier
Malay Name: Merbah Kapur
Chinese Name: 白眉黄臀鹎
Range: Found throughout Southeast Asia
Taxonomy: Polytypic. Subspecies are: jambu, analis, gourdini, goiavier, samarensis, suluensis.
Local Subspecies: analis
Size: 20-20.5 cm
Identification: Adult has brown upperparts, dark crown and loral stripe, broad white supercilium, white throat, whitish underparts with vague streaks and yellow vent.
Habitat: Mangroves, secondary growth, wooded areas, gardens and parks.
Local Status: Very common resident
Conservation Status: Least Concern (BirdLife International 2016)
Location: Widespread in suitable habitats.
- 8 resident bird calls you should know from Singapore’s parks (Birding Starter Pack)
- Our first guided walk! (Blog)
- Why you should start using eBird! (Birding Starter Pack)
- Local extinctions of Singapore birds (Science)
- Truly Singaporean Parrots: Queueing for the Good Stuff (Science)
BirdLife International. (2016). Pycnonotus goiavier. The IUCN Red List of Threatened Species 2016. https://dx.doi.org/10.2305/IUCN.UK.2016-3.RLTS.T22712731A94346183.en. Accessed on 1 January 2023
Robson, C. (2014). Field guide to the birds of South-East Asia (Second Edition). Bloomsbury Publishing, London.
Bird Society of Singapore. (n.d.). Yellow-vented Bulbul. Retrieved on November 23, 2023 from https://singaporebirds.com/species/yellow-vented-bulbul.